Realistic Fiction Writing Prompts for Kids
Most kids just love to tell you stories, and some will surely tell you some really tall tales! Getting them to write about those great stories, though, is another thing altogether. So many of the best stories from across the ages have had a real-life basis but with a unique, fictional twist. You can absolutely teach kids that it is as much fun to write these great stories as it is to read them. With the right choice of realistic fiction writing prompts, your kids can have a blast telling sharing stories and exploring their creative sides.
Here are some fun realistic fiction writing prompts that your kids will love to write about:
- Imagine that you get all the way to school and realize that you left your shoes at home. Write a short story that tells how your day at school would be without shoes.
- Imagine that you wake up to find your little sister had scribbled with permanent marker all over your walls. What happens?
- Pretend that you are out on a bike ride with a few friends and get caught in a rain storm. Who are you with? What happens?
- Pretend that you are enjoying the “best day ever” with your mom or dad. What happens on this day? Where do you go? What do you do?
- Think about your favorite relative. Pretend that relative calls you and asks you to keep a secret from the rest of your family. Tell a story about what the secret is and how the rest of your family reacts.
These fun realistic fiction writing prompts are sure to get the creative juices flowing in your kids. They will inspire your kids to explore real possibilities for “what if” scenarios in a fun and creative way.