@Mitch asked me in the last challenge for help in figuring out how to get his ideas into book format. Mitch has read Larry’s book on Story Engineering but still has questions about how to tackle the ideas in his head.
I understand what Mitch is saying. I have not written a book, but I will use Larry’s advice when I’m ready. As an exercise, I tried to remember all the different resources Larry has given over the years but I couldn’t. Instead of constantly forgetting them, I decided to list the prime resources I feel will help folks like Mitch. Now we’ll have these all in one place so we won’t have to search for them again. I may add more if I remember anything I’ve forgotten:
- The Single Most Powerful Writing Tool You’ll Ever See
- 8 Moments You Must Deliver To Your Readers
- Story Structure Poster
- Beat Sheet Explained
- Beat Sheet Template
- Story Structure & Beat Sheet Poster (8.5 x 11 inch)
- Story Structure & Beat Sheet Poster (8.5 x 14 inch)
- Find your story with What Ifs (and the comments)
- Study Screenwriting
- Structure Your Short Stories (This is good for CCC entries)
Print these items and put them into a binder. When you have a good story idea, use the above resources and polish that idea into a solid story.